1) The Liver is a reddish-brown glandular organ located in the right upper abdomen.
2) The Liver is the largest internal organ of the body, weighs about 3.2-3.7 lbs. in adults.
3) The Liver receives about 1.5 quarts of blood every minute from the hepatic artery (oxygenated blood from the heart) and the portal vein (nutrient rich and waste containing blood from the stomach), small and large intestine, spleen, rectum.
4) The liver -produces bile which (50% is stored in the gallbladder) breaks down fat, and helps in digestion.
5) The liver filters and detoxifies everything that enters the body, from particles in the air, substances absorbed thru skin to food and drugs.
6) The liver is responsible for metabolism and balance.
7) The liver stores vitamins A, D, E and K as well as iron.
8) Emotional expressions of the liver are kindness, self-expansion, identity or anger, aggression.
9) Energetically active times of the Liver 1-3 am.
10) Liver imbalances cause changes in vision amongst many other bodily malfunctions.
Support your liver with regular detox, refrain from anger, smoking and excessive alcohol. Drugs whether or not prescribed, alcohol has to be eliminated by the liver and can cause damage. Emotional problems, pollution, poor food, injuries and trauma can affect one or more of our organs including the liver. Breathing exercises along with healing sounds and postures like those of the Toaist are tools to cleanse and stimulate the flow of energy to our organs.
Love and Light
Credits: TCM, Wayne Chandler